A busted mountain bike and the ensuing trip to a different bike shop resulted in an impromptu hike around Sweetheart Mountain in the Collinsville village of Canton, Connecticut. The Canton Ski Club operated this ski area from 1948 to 1974/75. Two rope tows and lights serviced the 400’ vertical – including some surprisingly steep terrain. The little ski area claimed as many as 600 members, a dozen ski patrollers and a record 50 operating days in a single season.
The Canton Land Conservation Trust now owns the property and maintains hiking trails open to the public. Because so many rusty remnants of this former ski area are still hiding out in the woods – this short hike was a fun and nostalgic exploration.